Stupid car tricks (non-LBC) fwd:

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stupid car tricks (non-LBC) fwd:
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 22:07:32 -0400
Hello Worldly Scions,

Please don't flame me for a non-LBC post.  With all the discussion
of "go faster" mods that we seek, I thought it somehow, appropriate.
Perhaps it just struck my morbid sense of humor.  Anyway I got
this from the "safety list" today.  Apologies if I'm perpetuating
another "Net Myth".  But if it prevents 1 injury, or property damage,
perhaps it' worthwhile.

--------------------------------------begin included
text----------------------------------------------

"Darwin award" Nominee:  You all know about the Darwin awards -- it's an
annual honor given to the person who did the gene pool the biggest
service by killing themselves in the most extraordinarily stupid way.

Last year's winner was the fellow who was killed by a Coke (tm) machine,
which toppled over on top of him as he was attempting to tip a free soda
out of it.

And the nominee is:

The Arizona (U.S.) Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal
imbedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road, at the apex of
a curve.
The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car.
The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene.
The boys in the lab finally figured out what it was, and what had
happened.
It seems that a guy had somehow got hold of a JATO unit, (Jet Assisted
Take Off, actually a solid-fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy
military transport planes an extra `push' for taking off from short
airfields.  He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert, and
found a long, straight stretch of road.  Then he attached the JATO unit
to his car, jumped in, got up some speed, and fired off the JATO!!

Best as they could determine, he was doing somewhere between 250 and 300
mph (350-420kph) when he came to that curve....

The brakes were completely burned away, apparently from trying to slow
the car.