1500 valve springs [Was: Re: Stop that buzzing noise]

To: djp@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM (dan parslow)
Subject: 1500 valve springs [Was: Re: Stop that buzzing noise]
From: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 95 18:21:35 EDT
Apparently-to: djp@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM, triumphs@autox.team.net
Cc: timd@hitu.enet.dec.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
> I believe it's because US-spec 1500s, among other lamenesses, have
> only single valve springs instead of the doubled springs used in
> Eurospec Spitters.  I suspect that at these revs I'm hitting the
> harmonic values of these springs and causing them to buzz.
> Acceleration gets very weak in this range, but straightens out above
> 4500, coincident with the point where the buzzing stops.

The Eurospec dual springs cure a float/resonance problem somewhere
around 4200-4300 rpm.  If you want to retro the dual springs you'll
also need the spring seats which go with them.  TriumphTune UK has all
of this stuff.  Nobody I called on this side of the pond did.

When I pulled the head on my 1500, I found that the single springs tested
at 30 lb versus the 123(?) lb spec.  I think the inner spring is 40 lb.
Gonna be nice to have valves which track the cam lobes.

timd@hitu.enet.dec.com  (Tim Dziechowski - '79 Midget 1500)