Re: Webers or SUs, that's the (second) question

To: "VanDerLet, Ronald" <RLET@wcnd.utrecht.ATTGIS.COM>, british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Webers or SUs, that's the (second) question
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 95 07:23:42 EDT
On May 24,  4:50am, "VanDerLet, Ronald" wrote:

> Given the fact I blueprint the engine, increase the compression ration, fit
> a fast-road cam, lighten the flywheel, etc. Whic carburation setup whould
> you prefer. Webers or SUs?  Two or three of each?

My experience with a semi-race prepped TR-4 motor is that properly
set up SU's will produce essentially as much power as side draft
Webers.  However, I've gotten better throttle response from the
Webers, which is why they're on my car.  However, it may be easier
to properly set up the Webers than the SUs; you'll have to find a
racer who knows what he's doing to really get the most out of the
SUs.  I got lucky and mine had already been tweaked pretty severely;
however, as I mentioned above, I'm presently using side draft Webers.
I think on a six cylinder motor that I'd use three Webers.  Plan
on spending some time (and money) getting them properly jetted and
balanced, though.

later,
John

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU