Warning !!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Warning !!
From: Lennart.Broekhof@Holland.Sun.COM (Lennart Broekhof)
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 13:12:00 +0200
Was:  The sun shines...........BUT NOT FOR ME !!!!

Thanks to the people who have responded to the above subject.
Yesterday I've looked into the gearbox and I found out that
one of the gear wheels lost a couple of teeth. :-(
I was able to rotate the propshaft a couple of times but then
it got stuck permanent on the diff side.
This is what I think that happend;

The diff was already in a bad condition and was slowing down
the propshaft which tried to slowdown the gearbox.
At the other side of the gearbox the tuned engine said 'go,
go, go !! ' (not that I was speeding) and so the gearbox finally
gave up.
The clutch (specialy made for tuned engines) is still working very
good and I think that the OD is still alive as well.
Anyway, I'll go to my neighbour country, England, to pick up a
reconditioned gearbox and diff.
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a Dolomint
gearbox and the gearbox from a Dolomint Sprint ?

Why the warning as my subject.
Well, I really believed that when a diff is noisy it only could harm
the diff itself.
Wrong !!!
I also thought that a noisy diff could live a long life !
Wrong too !!!

Now I end up with a dead diff which took the gearbox with him/her in
its fall down.

So the moral of this story is that if a diff starts making noise you
should be getting worried about other parts as well.
(The diff from the Vitesse became noisy only two weeks ago)
Maybe someone is wondering why I still drove with the Vitesse knowing
that the diff was bad.
Well, I just have bought the car 3 weeks ago and I couldn't resist the
desire to drive with her, also because I thought that it wasn't that bad
with the diff.

Regards,

Lennart Broekhof

'68 Vitesse MK1 Convertible RHD