Re: TR3 Rear Hub Removal

To: rcbrown@ixcim.att.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Hub Removal
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 22:25:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
   From: rcbrown@ixcim.att.com (R C Brown +1 708 979 8231)

   Bad splines on rear, simple, order new splines and install. WRONG!
   Broke a stud off of the hub! Still seemed simple, remove hub and weld
   the stud back in place.

Waittaminute. Weld it? This is a wheel stud? Punch the old one out and
replace it with a new one. They're certainly not hard to get.

If you're worried about shock-loading the bearings as you whomp the
old stud out with your big hammer (a good idea, I think - you have to
replace the bearings, you -will- need that M86A), you could remove the
entire hub/bearing/halfshaft assembly by undoing the six screws that
hold it to the axle casing. Be really careful not to cut the oil seal
in the casing with the halfshaft splines as you slide the halfshaft
out. After you have it out, arrange something solid to brace the hub
against and then punch the stud out.  Be sure not to leave out any
shims you find between the hub and the axke casing when you put the
thing back together.

   "It will now be necessary to use a special tool having a part number of
   M86A. ... There is no other way of seperating these two parts"
   So what is a M86A tool????

Hub puller - bolts onto the studs, fits over the hub, has a large
screw in the middle which pushes against the halfshaft when tightened.
This is a tapered fit joint. They get kind of tight.

If you by chance meant you broke the hub itself, I personally don't
think I'd trust a welded hub, but to each his own. I suspect it is
fairly easy to get used hubs or hub-halfshaft assemblies.

                                -john
--
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu