Re: TR6 Distributor

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Distributor
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Wed, 3 May 95 11:39:13 CDT
> Michael Parker wrote:
>I have a 76 TR6, and after much troubleshooting believe I have found the
>trouble of burning points in less than a block to be a worn distributor
>shaft.  I am looking at an electronic ignition $199 Cdn and a tight used
>$165 Cdn as two options.  Anyone used the electronic system? Comments?
>Suggestions?

I've been quite happy with the Allison (now Crane) XR700 in my '72 TR6, 3
years under the belt. The photoelectric pickup is not significantly
affected by worn bearings or shaft wobble like points are. Maybe an hour to
install, only three wires. Current US price is around US$120.

But I'm not clear on what would burn points as quickly as you describe, it
would take a massive overcurrent. Even a bad or no capacitor takes many
miles to transfer enough metal to notice. I'd expect a worn shaft could
only make the timing wobble and make the engine run erratically. The points
themselves shouldn't much care when they open, the arc event at that
instant (whenever it is) is what causes erosion. Did "much troubleshooting"
included coil replacement with the correct part and careful wire tracing?

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com