Re: Suspension tells age

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Suspension tells age
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 95 14:30:20 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
> When I redid my supension,  these nylon busings were all so egg shaped, it
> made me cringe to think I had been driving the car at all.  Some of them were
> even worn through and wearing on the arms themselves.  This to me was a sure
> sign that the suspension had trully never been rebuilt.  And that the car was
> not a low milage car at all.  (Never claimed It was, Just never knew.)

 Unfortunatley these wear out much faster than you would expect.  MY TR4A has
 130K on it and the front suspension has been rebuilt 3 times and it is time
 to rebuild it again.  This is primarilly due to wear in the bushings.  Many
 of our beloved cars were rebuilt in the late 70's if only to make them
 more salable.  Also the speedo cables are prone to breakage and many of the
 PO's didn't care.  the millage really doesn't matter if a careful inspection
 of the car shows it to be sound and usable or rebuildable.  Unless you have
 very detailed records for the car the true milage is probably lost even
 to the origonal owner.  My TR4A was purchased from the origonal owner who
 kept very detailed service records including gas fill ups and millage.
 However I know that the millage is somewhat incorrect as his notes include
 times when the speedo cable was broken.

> As if the 5 pounds of dirt I scraped off the suspension parts wasn't a clue
> to that!

Road dirt doesn't take long to accumulate.

--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley

britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com