Re: Introduction (Seat Frames)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction (Seat Frames)
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:09:42 -0400
TeriAnn Wrote:>>>>>
Tom,TR3 seats are very simular.  New metal seat frames are currently
available
from Moss Motors.  The Roadster Factory carries an aftermarket fiberglass
seat
frame which I understand to be cheaper.  They should be close enough to fit
your
TR4A.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

UMMM, I don't think this is exactly right.  Early TR-4 seats were indeed very
very similar to TR-3 seats.  They differed in the number of mounting holes in
the bottom of the seat pan and  . . .  but anyway . . .

At body number (not Comm no) CT 15076, a new style of seats were introduced.
 These used metal frames, foam rubber and a rubber diaphragm instead of the
sheet metal pan and coil springs used previously.

I haven't taken the set I have apart yet, but my guess is that the TR-4A seats
 use exactly the same internals as the later TR-4 seat, but have an
additional couple of horseshoe shaped foam rubber pieces to fill out the
slightly different upholstery pattern of the 4A seats.

Just to show you that I'm not a know it all, I didn't know that the TR3 seat
pans were available.  I wrote TOML@novell.com and told him that no
reproduction metal frames for later TR-4 / 4A seats were available.  I could
be wrong here too.

So how about it?  Any other TR-4 junkies out there happen to know the true
facts on the seat differences and parts availability?

Scott Tilton
In Richmond VA
With nothing to say on this last line.