GT-6 Rear end thingys

To: Fine Fellow Scions <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT-6 Rear end thingys
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Scions of Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hey,
        All you GT-6 owners who are about to replace axle u-joints on
your cars, Take Note.  If your car is equipped with RotoFlex couplings,
it's important to inspect them, and replace them if necessary while
you're doing the U-joints.
        Check if the rubber itself is cracked, or if the joint appears to
be "bent" in a particular direction.  As these cars get older, and most
likely sit for long periods of time, the rubber "learns" a certain
deformed shape, and can cause the axle to wobble when driving.
        Replacement of the coupling doesn't involve disassembling the
hub, if you have a VISE-GRIP Chain Tool.  Simply cut the tensioning band,
stretch the joint over the axle, then retension the joint with the
VISE-GRIP Chain Tool.
        There are two types of RotoFlex couplings available.  The
factory, Unipart # GCD 301 (I believe), and the repro, Quinton Hazel part
# (I forgot). The Unipart one costs 20-40 dollars more since it includes
6 new mounting bolts.  I've bought both types, and I don't really see a
need to replace the bolts.  Fatigue strength is not an issue IMO, and if
you are careful, you won't necessarily bung the threads as you remove the
bolts.  This is an opportune time to use the VISE-GRIP chain tool to
pretension the old joint prior to removing the bolts so the threads won't
get bunged whilst you are unscrewing the bolts.

        I hope this helps some of you; write back if you need another earful.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6