Re: SPITS/UNLEADED

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SPITS/UNLEADED
From: STUDBC@afce02.tc.gc.ca
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 11:53:00 PDT
Encoding: 35 TEXT
>On Apr 5,  7:13pm, Joseph R Schneider wrote:
>> Subject: SPITS/UNLEADED
>> when did spits first require unleaded fuel?  what is the story on
unleaded
>> fuel in the old engines?
>> thanks
>> joe

Doug Mitchell <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com> wrote on Thu, 6 Apr 1995 08:33:51
 -0400

>I think that the Spits required unleaded from '76, although it may
>have been '75. I have run unleaded in my Spit for the last 7-8 years,
>and have had no apparent problems. I have not replaced the valve seats,
>although I may do that in the future. I must admit that I haven't put
>that many miles on the car lately, this is more due to having other
>problems with the car and not the engine.

>As usual, YMMV.

Well,

I own a 1976 Spitfire #FMsomething (sorry, the car is about 500 km from
here) and it requires leaded gasoline. I do know that it was built in April
of '76.

I have run my spit on unleaded (usually premium) for the last 4 years.
However, I often run a lead substitute. I have had no problems.

I will, however, be moving to hardened seats and valves when I do the big
rebuild.

Kyle Schmidt
Lucas Three Position Switch: Dim, Flicker, Off.