Re: [Tigers] Horn Wiring

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Horn Wiring
From: Bob Wanty <bobwanty@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 23:08:14 -0400
Cc: tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-6A940371-63BF-4E10-AEBF-A5135F9542A0
        charset=utf-8

My horns have a single terminal so I will get two terminal horns. The relay i=
dea sounds good.
Thanks for the help.
Bob

> On Sep 24, 2023, at 9:45 PM, Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Hi Bob,
>=20
> The wiring diagram here: http://tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/tt-images/M=
KIABIGwiring.jpg shows two solid purple wires to the horns feeding 12 volts,=
 and two purple with black stripe wires that are the horn ring connections. T=
here is no separate jumper wire from one horn to the other; if your car has t=
hat then it was added by a previous owner.
> <Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 7.34.26 PM.png>
>=20
> But, if the horns already start to sound when you connect just the hot sid=
e, then there is an internal short in at least one horn, which is not how it=
's intended to be. if you have an ohm-meter that can measure very low resist=
ances then you can take measurements across the two horn terminals and from e=
ach terminal to the horn body (or the frame mount). That would help you isol=
ate where the wiring problem is.
> <Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 7.38.18 PM.png>
> This is a sketch of the high-tone horn. The low-tone horn has an L cast in=
to the bell. The two terminals connect (through the wire coil and the points=
) to each other, but there should be no connection to the horn body itself. T=
he way you're describing the operation of your horns, connecting one of the t=
erminals to hot causes the horn to go, even if the other wire is not connect=
ed (or, without pushing the horn ring on the steering wheel).=20
>=20
> Do both horns work the same way (i.e. they go off when only the hot is con=
nected) or does only one horn do that? If one horn works properly (connect t=
he purple wire to one terminal, connect the purple-with-black-stripe wire to=
 the other) then that horn is fine and it's the other one that has an intern=
al short. It can probably be fixed by opening the horn up and figuring out w=
here the short is.
>=20
> Theo
>=20
ires to each horn, one is hot from the fuse box the other wire goes to groun=
d when the horn ring is pressed. When I plug the hot wire to the  horn it wo=
rks fine, even honks. So the horns must not be original since they are groun=
ded to the frame.  I still have 4 purple wires when I only have connections f=
or two and the wiring diagram only shows two wires, one to each horn.
> So should I isolate the horn frame ground, plug the hot wire to the horn, u=
se the existing jumper between the horns and connect the horn ring wire to t=
he other horn?
>=20
>> On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 1:50=E2=80=AFPM Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>=20
>> Correct except that Rootes (or Lucas) would never use a relay where they c=
ould instead pass all the current through a finicky sliding contact.=20
>>=20
>> Bob, the horns, when properly adjusted, draw about three amps each. It wo=
uld be a good idea to wire in a cube type relay so that the ring contact doe=
s not have to pass that much current.=20
>> If you like I can draw up a wiring diagram for that.=20
>>=20
>> Theo
>> On Sep 23, 2023, at 10:52 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>=
 wrote:
>>=20
>> I believe most horns have a relay and the 12v+ is already at said relay. W=
hen the horn ring makes contact it GROUNDS the relay (completing the circuit=
) and the relay contact points connect. That passes through the 12V+ to the h=
orns. So, typically the horn ring simply grounds the relay to activate it. S=
orry too late for me to check the manual for Tiger specifics but MOST cars f=
unction that way.
>>=20
>>  Think of yourself standing at a light switch in the house. When someone p=
resses you on the shoulder (connecting to ground) you and the switch act lik=
e the relay moving the switch to the on position. This then send power to th=
e light (horn). When the person pressing on your shoulder releases you turn t=
he switch off. Hope that helps.
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 9/23/2023 5:59 PM, Robert Wanty wrote:
>> I am working on wiring the horns for the first time since my 15 year rest=
ore. I am working with the original wiring harness and horns. Starting at th=
e horns there is one on  each side with a jumper wire between the two horns,=
 there are 2 purple wires leading to each horn, one wire on each side is hot=
  and wired to the fuse box the second wire is not hot or grounded. I instal=
led a new horn ring from SS and have one wire from the contact on the horn r=
ing and a second wire for the circle contact off the signal switch, I think t=
he wire for the circle contact should be hot  but I don't seem to have a con=
nector for it in the harness under the dash and nothing for the wire to the h=
orn ring.
>> It would seem to me that I should have a hot wire to the ring contact the=
n a hot to the horns when the horn ring is pressed. but the wiring harness d=
oes not seem to follow that way of thinking.
>> The wiring diagram is some help but as usual my limited knowledge on this=
 will probably start a fire.
>> Any help would be appreciated, I would rather not rewire the circuits so h=
opefully I can restore the Lucas system.to its original splendor.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Bob=20
>> =20
>>=20
>>  =20
>>=20
>>=20
zon.net
>>=20
>>=20
com
>>=20
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-6A940371-63BF-4E10-AEBF-A5135F9542A0
        charset=utf-8

orns have a single terminal so I will get two terminal horns. The relay idea=
y: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000"><div>Hi Bo=
sunited.com/resources/wsm/tt-images/MKIABIGwiring.jpg" data-mce-href=3D"http=
://tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/tt-images/MKIABIGwiring.jpg">http://tigers=
united.com/resources/wsm/tt-images/MKIABIGwiring.jpg</a> shows two solid pur=
[...]
shing the horn ring on the steering wheel).&nbsp;</div><div><br data-mce-bog=
us=3D"1"></div><div>Do both horns work the same way (i.e. they go off when o=
itt" &lt;atwittsend@verizon.net&gt;, "tigers" &lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;<=
o the horns, they look original. There are 2 purple wires to each horn, one i=
s hot from the fuse box the other wire goes to ground when the horn ring is p=
ressed. When I plug the hot wire to the&nbsp; horn it works fine, even honks=
. So the horns must not be original since they are grounded to the frame.&nb=
sp; I still have 4 purple wires when I only have connections for two and the=
hould I isolate the horn frame ground, plug the hot wire to the horn, use th=
e existing jumper between the horns and connect the horn ring wire to the ot=
"gmail_attr">On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 1:50=E2=80=AFPM Theo Smit &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:tsmit@shaw.ca"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer=
" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:tsmit@shaw.ca";>tsmit@shaw.ca</a>&gt; wrote:</div><=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; border-=
left: 1px solid #cccccc; padding-left: 1ex;" data-mce-style=3D"margin: 0px 0=
px 0px 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; padding-left: 1ex;"><div dir=3D=
s (or Lucas) would never use a relay where they could instead pass all the c=
div><div dir=3D"ltr">Bob, the horns, when properly adjusted, draw about thre=
e amps each. It would be a good idea to wire in a cube type relay so that th=
e ring contact does not have to pass that much current.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D=
"ltr">If you like I can draw up a wiring diagram for that.&nbsp;</div><div d=
t 10:52 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"=
 target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" data-mce-href=3D"mai=
lay and the 12v+ is already at said relay. When the horn ring makes contact i=
t GROUNDS the relay (completing the circuit) and the relay contact points co=
nnect. That passes through the 12V+ to the horns. So, typically the horn rin=
g simply grounds the relay to activate it. Sorry too late for me to check th=
e manual for Tiger specifics but MOST cars function that way.</p><p>&nbsp;Th=
ink of yourself standing at a light switch in the house. When someone presse=
s you on the shoulder (connecting to ground) you and the switch act like the=
 relay moving the switch to the on position. This then send power to the lig=
ht (horn). When the person pressing on your shoulder releases you turn the s=
e horns for the first time since my 15 year restore. I am working with the o=
riginal wiring harness and horns. Starting at the horns there is one on&nbsp=
; each side with a jumper wire between the two horns, there are 2 purple wir=
es leading to each horn, one wire on each side is hot&nbsp; and wired to the=
 fuse box the second wire is not hot or grounded. I installed a new horn rin=
g from SS and have one wire from the contact on the horn ring and a second w=
ire for the circle contact off the signal switch, I think the wire for the c=
ircle contact should be hot&nbsp; but I don't seem to have a connector for i=
t in the harness under the dash and nothing for the wire to the horn ring.<d=
iv>It would seem to me that I should have a hot wire to the ring contact the=
n a hot to the horns when the horn ring is pressed. but the wiring harness d=
oes not seem to follow&nbsp;that way of thinking.<br><div>The wiring diagram=
 is some help but as usual my limited knowledge on this will probably start a=
 fire.</div><div>Any help would be&nbsp;appreciated, I would rather not rewi=
re the circuits so hopefully I can restore the Lucas <a href=3D"http://syste=
m.to" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" data-mce-href=3D=
___________________________

oopener noreferrer" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@au=
tox.team.net</a>

"nofollow noopener noreferrer" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.h=
tml">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; target=3D"_blank" r=
el=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/pip=
ermail/tigers">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a href=3D"http://au=
tox.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer"=
 data-mce-href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve</a>

end@verizon.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" data=
-mce-href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon=
.net">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a=

_______________<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_b=
lank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:tigers@au=
.team.net/donate.html" rel=3D"noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.te=
am.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
tigers" rel=3D"noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank" da=
ta-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pip=
ermail/tigers</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http://au=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/bobwanty@gmail.com"; r=
el=3D"noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-hr=
ef=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/bobwanty@gmail.com";>http:=

--Apple-Mail-6A940371-63BF-4E10-AEBF-A5135F9542A0--

--===============5121396476123857493==