Re: [Tigers] The answer to a question that no one asked...

To: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@gmail.com>, David Sosna via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] The answer to a question that no one asked...
From: GARY WINBLAD <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 18:57:12 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_1129668_1304497068.1664837832882

David,
The Tesla supercharger network is pretty much what you want.  Not every pol=
e but...
They are all over at least out in CA.  It can add 200 miles in only 20 minu=
tes and they put them
right by restaurants, shopping malls, coffee shops, hotels, etc.  The big d=
isplay on the dash tells you
when you need a charge and directs you in.  It gives options and it knows i=
f there will be any
wait or anything.  Pretty impressive.  The future is here.
Unfortunately, that's why the only EV I would consider right now is a Tesla=
Gary

>     On 10/03/2022 1:11 PM David Sosna via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net> =
wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>     Hey, Ron:
>=20
>     I'll qualify my response by noting that I don't have an EV, so this i=
s largely theoretical for me.
>=20
>     I like the idea of a charger on each phone pole.  Seriously.  Travell=
ing between cities it seems like I could stop at a handy phone pole, whip o=
ut my credit card, get information on what that particular electricity prov=
ider is selling a KWH for, go ahead with my transaction and get a receipt. =
 Okay, SOMEbody has to make sure that the roll of receipt paper on each pho=
ne-pole charger is kept full. =F0=9F=98=89
>=20
>     Given that my city is gradually undergrounding telephone and electric=
 utilities, a lack of phone poles in a city doesn't seem like a big deal; c=
onventional charging stations would be--in the same future of phone-pole ch=
argers--as readily available there as gas stations are now.
>=20
>     There's probably a lot of reasons why it wouldn't work and I'm guessi=
ng your suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but I still like it--it's elegant. =
=F0=9F=98=81
>=20
>     Best Regards
>=20
>     David Sosna
>=20
>=20
>     On 10/3/22 07:21, Ron Fraser wrote:
>=20
>         > >=20
> >         I saw the All Girls Garage show and it seems to me the Borla re=
p stated that there were several different engine sounds in the controller =
including Ferrari and more were being developed.   Alright, a Prius with Fe=
rrari engine sound.
> >=20
> >=20
> >         I think Borla found a niche for those who just can=E2=80=99t be=
 without the latest electronic gismo.   Borla will make a profit until the =
craze evaporates or a government body says NO more please.
> >=20
> >=20
> >         Seems to me California and New York have already banned the sal=
e of petrol engine by 2035.   My 1st question would be how many of those po=
liticians own an EV now?   My guess, few.
> >=20
> >=20
> >         IMO the politicians have jumped to step 20 without considering =
the consequences.   The power grid is not ready, the charging stations are =
not ready, battery technology is better but not totally ready for prime tim=
e and more important; until the EV range is specified for 20 degrees F, I=
=E2=80=99m not interested.   Regional Transit here has some EV buses and if=
 it get too cold they can=E2=80=99t use them, the range drops too far.  =20
> >=20
> >=20
> >         I would only consider a Hybrid vehicle in snow country.
> >=20
> >=20
> >         EV vehicles are needed for major cities to clear the air but co=
untry folks drive longer distances for everything including work.   Some of=
 those EV=E2=80=99s are going to leave people stranded in the winter unless=
 they put a charging station on every telephone pole.
ces@autox.team.net On Behalf Of GARY WINBLAD
Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net> mailto:tigers@autox.team.net
.net mailto:tigers@autox.team.net > wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >             Okay, here is my take. My first impression is this is as =
stupid as stupid gets. I did hear somewhere that =E2=80=9Csome=E2=80=9D peo=
ple are worried about deaf and/or blind folks not being able to hear an app=
roaching EV. From experience, I can tell you that NO ONE even hears my F150=
. Many people step into traffic around here without even looking. We will p=
robably replace my wife=E2=80=99s compact SUV with an EV in the near future=
. We already have a solar array designed to make up for the juice required =
and I plan to install a level 2 charger in the garage. We almost never trav=
el far enough in that car to have to look for a charging station. As for us=
 California guys, speaking for myself, I think I=E2=80=99ll be long gone be=
fore there is absolutely no petrol to be had. Somewhere down the line, it w=
ill probably get very expensive to buy (as if it is not bad already) but, I=
 have to actually make a point of driving the Tiger and my big block Ford j=
ust to keep em running right. Car shows and Sunday drives are the norm.=20
> > >=20
> > >             With all that said; I kinda like the George Jetson sound =
idea! I can see EV drivers gettin creative with sound effects. That could b=
e a hoot. AND, I have to admit that I clothes pinned playing cards into the=
 spokes of my bicycle as a kid!=20
cindiver@gmail.com mailto:jd.sencindiver@gmail.com > wrote:
> [...]
led on a Mustang MachE on an episode of All Girls Garage (Motor Trend TV).
om mailto:sabre2tgr@gmail.com > wrote:
> [...]
ehicles https://www.borla.com/products/active-performance-sound-for-electri=
c-vehicles/
tions/tigers/jd.sencindiver@gmail.com
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >         > >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
>     tigers@autox.team.net
>=20
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/a=
rchive
>=20
>     Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad=
@comcast.net
>=20
>=20
>=20

------=_Part_1129668_1304497068.1664837832882

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
   David,
   &nbsp;The Tesla supercharger network is pretty much what you want.&nbsp;=
 Not every pole but...
   They are all over at least out in CA.&nbsp; It can add 200 miles in only=
 20 minutes and they put them
   right by restaurants, shopping malls, coffee shops, hotels, etc.&nbsp; T=
he big display on the dash tells you
   when you need a charge and directs you in.&nbsp; It gives options and it=
 knows if there will be any
   wait or anything.&nbsp; Pretty impressive.&nbsp; The future is here.
   Unfortunately, that's why the only EV I would consider right now is a Te=
sla...
   Gary
    On 10/03/2022 1:11 PM David Sosna via Tigers &lt;tigers@autox.team.net&=
gt; wrote:
s largely theoretical for me.</p>
p; Travelling between cities it seems like I could stop at a handy phone po=
le, whip out my credit card, get information on what that particular electr=
icity provider is selling a KWH for, go ahead with my transaction and get a=
 receipt.&nbsp; Okay, SOMEbody has to make sure that the roll of receipt pa=
per on each phone-pole charger is kept full. =F0=9F=98=89</p>
 utilities, a lack of phone poles in a city doesn't seem like a big deal; c=
onventional charging stations would be--in the same future of phone-pole ch=
argers--as readily available there as gas stations are now.<br></p>
ng your suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but I still like it--it's elegant. =
=F0=9F=98=81</p>
    On 10/3/22 07:21, Ron Fraser wrote:
 me the Borla rep stated that there were several different engine sounds in=
 the controller including Ferrari and more were being developed.&nbsp;&nbsp=
; Alright, a Prius with Ferrari engine sound.</p>
can=E2=80=99t be without the latest electronic gismo.&nbsp;&nbsp; Borla wil=
l make a profit until the craze evaporates or a government body says NO mor=
e please.</p>
y banned the sale of petrol engine by 2035.&nbsp;&nbsp; My 1<sup>st</sup> q=
uestion would be how many of those politicians own an EV now?&nbsp;&nbsp; M=
y guess, few.</p>
out considering the consequences.&nbsp;&nbsp; The power grid is not ready, =
the charging stations are not ready, battery technology is better but not t=
otally ready for prime time and more important; until the EV range is speci=
fied for 20 degrees F, I=E2=80=99m not interested.&nbsp;&nbsp; Regional Tra=
nsit here has some EV buses and if it get too cold they can=E2=80=99t use t=
hem, the range drops too far. &nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
country.</p>
r the air but country folks drive longer distances for everything including=
 work.&nbsp;&nbsp; Some of those EV=E2=80=99s are going to leave people str=
anded in the winter unless they put a charging station on every telephone p=
ole.</p>
t; padding: 3.0pt 0in 0in 0in;">
to:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net" class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;tiger=
/strong> Jim B <a href=3D"mailto:jbsyv@yahoo.com"; class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc=
2396E">&lt;jbsyv@yahoo.com&gt;</a>; Jim B via Tigers <a href=3D"mailto:tige=
rs@autox.team.net" class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;tigers@autox.team.ne=
n that no one asked...</p>
solete, some people just don't adapt</p>
ice and fear that the power grid won't support</p>
unfortunately) to worry about this one.</p>
g on solar panel charged electricity.&nbsp; All</p>
anged but it gets 70MPG on trips, great</p>
king of how I could build one myself.&nbsp; The</p>
f scraping, screeching sounder to warm blind</p>
with that, a V8 burble would be so much</p>
 class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tige=
rs@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:</p>
is my take. My first impression is this is as stupid as stupid gets. I did&=
nbsp;hear&nbsp;somewhere that&nbsp;=E2=80=9Csome=E2=80=9D people are worrie=
d about deaf and/or blind folks not being able to hear an approaching EV. F=
rom experience, I can tell you that NO ONE even hears my F150. Many people =
step into traffic around here without even looking. We will probably replac=
e my wife=E2=80=99s compact SUV with an EV in the near future. We already h=
ave a solar array&nbsp;designed to make up for the juice required and I pla=
n to install a level 2 charger in the garage. We almost never travel far en=
ough in that car to have to look for a charging station. As for us Californ=
ia guys, speaking for myself, I think I=E2=80=99ll be long gone&nbsp;before=
 there is absolutely no petrol to be had. Somewhere down the line, it will =
probably get very expensive to buy (as if it is not bad already) but, I hav=
e to actually make a point of driving the Tiger and my big block Ford just =
to keep em running right. Car shows and Sunday drives are the norm.&nbsp;</=
span></p>
hat said; I&nbsp;kinda like the George Jetson sound idea! I can see EV driv=
ers gettin creative with sound effects. That could be a hoot. AND, I have t=
o admit that I&nbsp;clothes pinned&nbsp;playing cards into the spokes of my=
 bicycle as a kid!&nbsp;</span></p>
an></p>
n></p>
r &lt;<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"mailto:jd.sencindiver@gmai=
l.com">jd.sencindiver@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</p>
get installed on a Mustang MachE on an episode of All Girls Garage (Motor T=
rend TV).</p>
class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"mailto:sabre2tgr@gmail.com";>sabre2t=
gr@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</p>
st what every&nbsp;EV owner&nbsp;needs... </span></p>
bsp;</span></p>
 target=3D"_blank" href=3D"https://www.borla.com/products/active-performanc=
e-sound-for-electric-vehicles/" rel=3D"noopener">Borla Active Performance S=
________________________________________ <br><br><a class=3D"moz-txt-link-f=
reetext" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"noo=
reetext" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"=
noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> <br>Archive: <a class=3D"moz-=
txt-link-freetext" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
tigers" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a class=
=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/=
ribe: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://a=
utox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jd.sencindiver@gmail.com" rel=3D"noope=
ner">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jd.sencindiver@gmail.com<=
__________________________________ <br><br><a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetex=
te.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> <br>Archive: <a class=3D"moz-t=
xt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.=
team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"ht=
bscribe: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/m=
ailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net">http://autox.team.net/mailma=
    <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre">__________________________________________=
_____