Re: Labeling situations

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Labeling situations
From: Robert Melusky <tigerknut66@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
Now we get into "period" and recent production.   I think car snobs will alway
sniff at something that was not made by the original manufacturer and/or sold
by the original parts distribution system. And I can understand and appreciate
the value of a museum quality original car. If I had one, I would need my car
still if I wanted to drive one because I would probably have the original
stored in a dark room in a bag of nitrogen.

 A Rootes washer bottle was probably not made by Rootes, but it was sold by
them at a Rootes parts counter with a Rootes part number.  It obviously can't
be an OEM part if it was made long after the company went out of business, but
a faithful reproduction from original tooling like what Coker Tire offers.
There are people that will pay big bucks for an original spare, others that
will by Coker reproductions of lousy tire technology for show 'n go and others
that go for the best that technogly offers for maximum performance and safety.

Personally, I am delighted to has reasonable service parts available and
improved parts like an aluminum radiator that I chose to use to make the car
more appropriate for my personal use (like getting stuck in Rhode Island beach
traffic on the hottest day of the year). Everybody is different and until I
sell my car and my choices have a value applied by the market, it does not
matter. Since just about everything I have done can be undone with a wrench, I
always have a choice. If I had a wicked '52 Merc leadsled, I wouldn't be
worried about not being stock, either.

Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net> wrote:

With that said, it was inferred that Rick's LAT valve covers were
reproductions. We have to be careful here because they are produced from
the original "factory" tooling used by International Automobile when the
LAT items were first produced. Furthermore, they are now being produced at
the Buddy Bar foundry that cast the original's.