RE: Hydraulic fluids - getting your DOTs lined up.

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hydraulic fluids - getting your DOTs lined up.
From: "Jim Blackwood" <jblackwood5@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:01:33 -0400
I too have run silicone fluid since about 1980, in the clutch system and
a dual master cylinder brake system. This is on an MG rather than a
Tiger and it uses steel cylinders and pistons. I have had to change out
the master cylinders a couple of times over that period due to wear in
the cylinder, all of them have needed changed probably twice and the
brake cylinders may need it again before too long. The MG master has a
long steel piston which rides against the bore causing wear. I did not
disassemble the Weber, but suspect the bore and piston are isolated from
each other by o-rings and seals so really, wear from metal to metal
contact shouldn't be a problem. At any rate, following a 6 month
swelling test with silicone (Weber says don't use it) with good results,
I did a "feel" test as the wear issue had come up. The glycol based
fluid certainly felt noticeably slipperier to me so that's what I put in
it. And of course, it dripped all over the new paint.

Jim