Re: switch and sealing washers

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: switch and sealing washers
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:06:03 -0800
Theo Smit wrote:

><--snip-->
>

> If the threads are straight, then you can't use tape on
>them, and a sealing washer is required. If the threads are tapered, then you
>shouldn't use a sealing washer since you're supposed to tighten the switch
>until the threads are sealed.
>
><snip>
>Theo

Theo raises a very interesting point, worth examining a little further.

While I have never had the switch out of my car, as it works fine, I
cannot directly answer this question I am posing.  But, does someone
know, for sure, whether the original Tiger Lucas (Girling) brake switch
is a tapered or straight thread?

If a replacement unit, of the opposite persuasion, were substituted,
then excessive forces may be required to seal, if it ever does.

Straight threaded bosses need straight threaded switches, and so on. I
am going to make a leap of logic, here - dangerous in our cars - that
since all the other brake line threads on our cars are straight, so WAS
the original switch.  If it were replaced with a pipe thread device ---
well!

Something else to check.

Steve

--