RE: open response: Crappy Sunbeam dealer

To: cthompson@rrinc.com, DJoh797014@aol.com, mhp@flash.net
Subject: RE: open response: Crappy Sunbeam dealer
From: "Bill Parfitt" <billparfitt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:06:27 -0700
Listers,

     I have been following this "back and forth" with Classic Sunbeam with
some interest. While I have been sitting on the sidelines up until now, I
think it is time to relate an experience I am currently undergoing with a
parts dealer and dealers in general. I have been a relatively silent member
of the list for well over two years since, quite frankly, I have had little
to offer. When I could help a fellow Sunbeam owner, I always have and have
tried to do my part, financially or otherwise, to help this resource thrive.
There are many folks who contibute time after time for no compensation and
to those I take my hat off.  Dealers and Suppliers also offer a lot to the
marque.  But there is a big difference in that it is their business, not
their hobby. They get paid for what they sell and like any other business
must serve their customers every day.

      Some time ago, a fellow lister presented a solution to mounting a rear
license plate by telling me that Smitty in San Diego could make one that
required no drilling. I called Smitty, we agreed upon a price of $60 and a
mailed him a check. THAT WAS JULY 2000 and still no mounting bracket
although the check was cashed in August of last year. Phone calls and even
contact from a local San Diego lister has to date not yielded a mounting
bracket.

     Why do I bring this up? It is because I have heard the same accolades
about Smitty that I am now hearing about Curt whom I have never dealt with.
Both these folks are listed in the C.A.T. membership roster (and probably
tons of others) as suppliers of parts and whenever someone has a problem
with service I believe the list is a great place to bring it up. I hesitated
to do so in my case and seeing how everybody is giving Chuck Keding grief I
was right in my judgement.

     Please understand this is NOT about dissing Smitty, It is just to let
people know that all is not well in paradise. He still has my money  and I
still don't have my bracket NINE MONTHS after the fact.

    Well, I have put on my flack jacket, let the barrage begin...

                                       Regards, Bill in Portland, Or.