Electrical mystery solved! (or is it "?")

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electrical mystery solved! (or is it "?")
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 07:39:58 -0400
Stu wrote:
>      Now I'm just going from memory, but there's a ground wire that goes
>      from the  instrument brackets to the wiper switch.  I discovered
this
>      the hard way, when the wipers didn't answer the call one day.

Thanks, Stu.

Last night I was under the dash, checking out the switches and comparing
them to the Mk1 wiring diagram. For a while, I thought it was the light
switch, saw a ground wire mentioned going to terminal 8 where I had a blue
wire (why did my lights _ever_ work?); further checking showed I was
looking at the under-bonnet light switch on the diagram, which I do not
think my car even has.

Proceeding to the wiper switch terminals I find a big fat yellow wire
coming off the switch not on the diagram. Followed it all over the dash;
yes, eventually, I tracked it back to a dash mounting bolt right next to
the wiper switch. Yup, a ground.

Clearly the work of the DPO (Dreaded Present Owner), I recognize my own
wiring of a few years ago. The switch and the grounding bolt are <6" apart;
I think I now know why I had an extra ground wire, disconnected at both
ends, under there.

Great-uncle Desmond would be proud of me...

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com