RE: rules rant

To: "'Carl Braun'" <clbraun@vintagerace.net>
Subject: RE: rules rant
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:47:24 -0500
Carl,

Sorry to hear about your car... that's a shame.

Like I said in my original post, this is really about the board, and its
decisions, and lack of commitment when it comes to changing things like they
said they wanted to.  You and I both know they blinked. They didn't want to
lose entry fees in the cash cows of Group 2 and 8.

Specifically, if Ron Soave (who is my good friend) shows up with SU carbs,
his car is judged "era correct" despite glass nose, 1275, roll bar extending
to the A arms, 1.5 ratio roller rockers, fender flares, etc. And if I show
up with a 948, steel Bugeye bonnet, legal ignition, shocks, correct ratio
non-roller rockers, no flares, legal bar, and correct weight, would be Mod 1
if I had a Weber. Please understand, the point isn't my car. I've got SUs I
can run. I don't need  to run my Targa bonnet. All I'm saying is you did not
encourage a correct Sprite. Did Dr. J take off his rear disks? His front and
rear brake ducts? His custom wide track king pins? His Kevlar or glass body
panels? How about the setback of his engine?

Why is it VARAC has 8 Bugeyes show up with legal 948s? Because they don't
allow anything else. They enforce their rules.

I'm speaking about Sprites. Stickers don't change a thing.

FYI... I picked up a slide in camper for my dually so we can camp at the
track. I really enjoyed the days back when I had my motorhome... but my
large trailer prohibits a rig like that. The slide in works great with my
rig, and it's not another vehicle to maintain like a motorhome.

WST