Grattan part 1

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Grattan part 1
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:11:26 -0500
Wow, despite the fact nearly all of youse guys are homos of one sort or
another, Grattan was a lot of fun. We left the Dream Farm at 10pm Thurs, and
arrived at the track at 6am Fri, after driving straight thru. Present in the
Flounder contingent was the lovely Dr. "the Striking Viking" Thompson,,
Hoss, the "Wonder Dog", and "ADHD dog" Hogan. The AC in my dually took a
shit the day before we left, so that made the trip all the more "fun". It's
360 miles to Grattan from the Dream Farm.

I had my new spare race motor in and out 3 times last week before solving
the oil pressure issue (details elsewhere). I can happily report that the
Paul A rear main fix along with an align bore made for a dry engine rebuild.
The motor doesn't quite have the beans of my regular motor. it's just a
collection of stuff I'd gathered over the years. The head is nice, the
pistons are cast TRW 998's 020 over. The crank was nitrided. Cam is the
75-12 Elgin, as it's only an 11.5:1 CR.

I had a miss that would come on at 4k, and continue past 6k. I dicked around
with it for a while, running a Mallory dual point. Suspecting that, I
swapped in a Cooper S mechanical advance diz and other wires.it pulled
stronger, yet still had the miss. I tried upping the fuel pressure. Still
the same. Gary "Grenade" (my personal parts bin) loaned me a set of carbs,
and that solved the bulk of the issue. However, Grattan's surface continues
to be such shot, that the corner workers were tired of picking up my exhaust
that the other racers were tired of driving around. I was not the only one
with that issue, as Hopper had his fall off at least once. I'm going to drag
my car to a muffler shop and have them bend up and mount something, and have
them make an identical spare while they're at it.

It was great to be back in Thicko Village. Stan Mason's car was real pretty.
He chases a miss that, based on the smoke I was seeing most of the weekend,
seemed like a valve issue to me. Hopper was struck down by a wide variety of
maladies, some of which were quite odd. Gary 'Grenade" and "Elmo" needed to
get a room, or at least smoke a cigarette after on particular practice
session, where they both came off the track sportin' wood due to all the
fun. Gary chased some other issues, and did a motor swap

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com

www.thicko.com <http://www.thicko.com/>

image001.jpg]