Re: Real Dilemma

To: "Pete Towell" <ralph.towell@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Real Dilemma
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:16:05 -0600
depends on a few things...

If you have a little winkie, race a 1275...

I think the real decision should be based on a couple of factors... a decent
race 948 will beat a 1275 stock, or nearly stock. The 1275 may be false
economy, as a stock motor doesn't really want to live for extended periods at
racing rpms. Race 948's cost more to build, as cranks are getting hard to
find. I nitride all mine. I built 3 motors (still assembling the 3rd) and will
start a 4th in the spring.

So, who do ya wanna race with? There's a whole bunch of us 948 guys with
similar lap times that enjoy beating the shit out of each other... makes for
great racing.

The torque of a 1275 is more forgiving of "less than precise" driving
techniques...which can lead to some bad habits. With the 948, you really have
to conserve momentum, hit your late breaking points and apexes, and get on the
gas early to achieve a good exit speed.

I'm a 948 guy (grande chimpo).

WST