Meanwhile, back in the kitchen...

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Meanwhile, back in the kitchen...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:46:45 -0700 (MST)
I like turkey.  I've eaten and enjoyed it for the last three meals.  Most
likely I'll eat more tomorrow.  But I'll probably be ready for something
different soon.

So I'm making an unusual request to this list - I'd like a bratwurst recipe.
Sorry, I don't mean any that go like "Take 50 pounds of brats and a keg of
Old Swill..."  What I'm looking for is how to turn a pile of animal parts
and various spices into tasty, homemade brats after working up a sweat on
the meat grinder.

On her last trip to Phoenix my wife came back with the food section of The
Arizona Republic which had a recipe for homemade brats therein, courtesy of
the Scottsdale Culinary Institute.  I was born in the Southwest, a ways
inland from the coast.  The southwest of Michigan, that is, Cass County, a
modest drive from Lake Michigan.  More than a country mile from Scottsdale.

My father's family came over from Lithuania, my mother's from Prussia, back
when Prussia was still on the map.  So perhaps that is why I have an inherent
distrust of a brat recipe that calls for two cups of powdered soy protein.
Of course, my waistline and cholesteral count may champion such an
ingredient, but I have a feeling that old world recipes for sausages of
various types did *not* include soy powder.  What's next, tofu saurkraut?

If any of you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Do they sell brats at Mosport?  I may be there for a weekend next summer.
Where IS Mosport?  See?  A vintage racing tie-in after all!

mjb.