mucho words

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: mucho words
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:06:10 -0600
John's reply to the board of directors letter...

Bill,

Your comments, as well as any other member's comments, are welcomed input to
the board at any time.  We have always encouraged member participation.
That being said, criticism of the board made in public forums -- but not
directly to the board itself -- has in the past been a source of some
irritation to some members of the board.  Some of the information
disseminated has been very one-sided and full discussion might show a
different picture.  We don't think that the Team Thicko bulletin board is
the proper venue for such discussions to take place.

Unfortunately, the reality is that when we solicit opinions on specific
topics that appear to be of interest to the membership (which we do quite
often in the newsletter), we tend to get very few responses.  That leaves us
in a situation of evaluating whether the rest of the membership shares the
opinions of the few who do respond or whether non-responders are satisfied
enough that they don't think it is worth commenting.  An example is the
reorganizing of the groups.  We solicited input; got about 40-50 responses;
and made changes based on that input.  Then, all these people who didn't
want change were upset.  Why didn't they make their opinions known when they
were asked to do so?

In any case, you will see tomorrow just how democratic the process really
is.  Group reps, who supposedly understand their constituents, are very
influential.  That is why the board developed the rep system -- so that we
could get broader feedback from the membership.

John

My response...

John,

Thanks for the response. This is not my first time to the dance, having been
regional newsletter editor, and regional director of the Midwest Region of
the AHCA, as well as historian and VP of the AHCA on a national level, and
VSCDA newsletter editor. I'm sorry , but I don't agree with those that think
the Thicko bulletin board is not the proper forum for discussion. If I or
anyone else was naming individuals (for whatever reason) then perhaps some
could be upset and take offense at what is perceived to be personal
criticism. Besides, Team Thicko is not a VSCDA organization. While there are
many members of VSCDA are Team Thicko members, there are a significant
amount that aren't. Having said that, why is it, do you suppose that Team
Thicko has become so popular? The #1 reason is its is an "inclusive" rather
than "exclusive" organization. I can't stress enough how important that is.
It's one of the things I occasionally try to beat the VSCDA about the head
and face with... be "inclusive". Welcome people. Make them feel wanted.
Facilitate the opportunities for many people of different interests to get
together socially and enjoy each other's company.

Where would the proper place to discuss these issues (for those that care)?
Where is it you suggest? I don't see a venue where its encouraged. I think
there are even board members and other staff that feel stifled, ignored, or
dismissed on more than one occasion. That shouldn't happen.

Opinions, by definition, cannot be anything other than "one sided". Facts
don't take sides either. I, for one, as I'm sure you do, know the difference
between opinion and fact. Information is precisely the real issue here...
and I encourage the club to do a better job to distribute information.

WST

John's 2nd response

My point is that if someone has a problem with what the board is or is not
doing, and is interested in change, then there ought to be a discussion of
the issues directly with the board.

Through the VSCDA newsletter, all members could be exposed to a balanced
presentation of the issues and be part of the discussion.  Although you can
do what you want on the Team Thicko site, editorials there aren't going to
solve anything because many of us on the board don't read it.  It is not a
substitute for communication directly with us.

Doesn't it make more sense to try to work with us to identify and solve
problems rather than just provide one-sided criticism to a sub-set of the
organization?

John

My final reply...

John,

Show me on the website (or in the newsletter) where the board's e-mail
addesses are posted. Show me the VSCDA internet bulletin board. Show me how
many times members are solicited for opinions. How is it that we, the
members are supposed to communicate? The group reps? Even some of them make
the comment that they're a layer of fluff that keeps the rifraf from
reaching the higher ups. More than one of us has rudely been dismissed with
a "wave of the hand".

Any opinions expressed are viewed as criticism...don't you see? You claim to
want opinions, but in fact you (and I'm not necessarily meaning you
personally) do not. You view opinion as "one sided criticism" and
"editorial". At times, on the Thicko list, it is indeed edotorial. But my
letter today was most certainly not... just ideas, opinions... all in an
effort to make the club experience better. What other agenda is there?
What's in it for me?

As far as "working with us"...never once have I refused a request to help
the club...from thousands of dollars of food, entertainment, videos, special
guests, marque involvement, enduro involvement, the newsletter... you name
it, I've done it. I've been a participant at every event I possibly could
over the last 10 years, and even attended and volunteered my efforts days
after a catastrophic race accident. I've taught at the driver's school for
years. I go out of my way to seek out and welcome new members. How am I not
an ambassador for the club?

I encourage discussion, plain and simple. I despise hidden agendas, and
un-equal application of rules and regulations. I want every VSCDA to be a
resounding success. You cannot find fault with that.

WST