RE: Delrin bushing installation

To: "'Gerard Chateauvieux'" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: RE: Delrin bushing installation
From: "Kansa, Robert" <KansaR@diebold.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:05:12 -0400
been there done that...
hey, are you trying to copy me?
The offset top delrin bushings only adjust things about 1 deg. Put the offset
(hole) the opposite way you want the camber to go. On tink, the hole goes
towards the outside (the wheel)to draw the top of the wheel in, giving a hair
of negative camber. I went with negative camber, to help the car from "pushing"
understeering a bit more. Yes the bushings are a press fit in, they will have a
tendency to want to expand out a hair, even after you press them, because
delrin, being a plastic, has a bit of memory, and has a touch of give. not much
but its there. just baa, ba,  lube the pin, I used heavy lubriplate grease. I
put a very small "rifling" groove on the inside to retain the grease otherwise
it wont stay in very long. I also put a thin washer on the outside of the
bushing, so it has something of a bearing surface and ba, ba, lubed it too.
since on the original bushings, it was the rubber that did the work. and not
the pin,  so now you have to compensate for the pin moving against the bushing
ID by keeping it lubed up. the delrin is great in that it has little to no
compliance, but God help your ass on a brick street. the ride is rougher,
because the suspension is reacting more precisely. You get more feedback
through the chassis. but it becomes more predictable. I have also put the
delrin on the sway bar mounts and rear springs, everything else is rod ends
including my trailing arms. Also, unfortunately, as a street car, the delrin
will not last forever, unless you take it apart regularly to regrease and clean
them, depending on how many dirt roads you travel down how often.
R (wnik) Kansa
RCCSA girls

///
///  team-thicko@autox.team.net mailing list