Re: Email

To: speckman@coredcs.com, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Email
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:04:19 EDT
Quit harrassing me, Speckman!!

Iceman

<< 51% Believe Tone of E-mail Is Sometimes Misunderstood

 NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 14, 2000--Although e-mail has
 significantly improved the speed and frequency of communication in the
 workplace, it may have diminished its clarity. According to a recent
 survey conducted by Vault.com, 51% of the 1,004 of the respondents think
 that the tone of their e-mail is sometimes misunderstood.

 Respondents claim that because e-mail is "a sightless, one-dimensional
 medium," misperceptions range from abrupt and harsh, to overly casual.
 Further comments from respondents regarding tone include: -- "I wrote a
 question to her one day; she [my boss] thought I was being insubordinate
 by the tone'. I almost lost my job!" -- "I think e-mail in particular is
 a communication form that lends itself to message misinterpretation,
 primarily due to a lack of  universal formats' and tendency for people
 to abbreviate answers." -- "E-mail is such a flat medium that it is
 often difficult to know what the writer was feeling when the message was
 written; therefore, it may be misinterpreted. This is a challenge I face
 trying to work to keep work-based e-mails mostly fact-laden."

 These results are a part of The Vault.com Survey of E-mail Behavior at
 the Workplace, a comprehensive look at the issues that surround today's
 workplace since the advent of e-mail. Conducted last May, the 35 page
 survey covers issues such as e-mail monitoring, use of the "Bcc"
 feature, and intra-office communications.

 To view the full survey results visit
 http://vault.com/links/E-mailBehavior.