Re: [Spridgets] Electrical help-Alternator conversion

To: Mark Haynes <220caribou@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Electrical help-Alternator conversion
From: Greg Gowins via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:41:43 +0000
Cc: Spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--000000000000093fba0612fef52f

Hey Mark!

I'm looking back through my notes from when we wired the alternator into my
car.  I'm assuming that the fundamentals between the one you have and the
one I have are fairly similar.    However, the 3rd wire is the main
difference.   I'd try it both ways, with it connected to switched power and
without.  This particular alternator might have some kind of circuit that
cuts everything off if it doesn't sense ignition power.    Do you happen to
have the part number of this alternator handy?

Greg

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 11:42=E2=80=AFAM Mark Haynes via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I'm sliding down this slippery slope of modification and need some help.
> I'm trying to put a ND 3 wire alternator into my BE. It's already
> converted to Negative ground and I'm intending on rewiring the regulator
> per Barney Gaylord to just use it as a terminal block.
> Here's the issue, the alternator has a Battery Positive Sense (S)
> terminal, a Keyed Battery Ignition (I) terminal and an Indicator Light (L=
)
> terminal.
> I'm assuming that the S terminal should get the 'fat' brown wire that use=
> to go to the D terminal on the regulator (new placement the A terminal
> after rewiring), and that the L terminal goes to the small yellow wire to
> feed power to shut off the charge light.
> Do I need to wire the I terminal (Keyed battery ignition) so that it sees
> power when the ignition switch is on (the white wire at A1 of the
> regulator), or is this redundant and unnecessary?
> TIA, the new engine/5 speed/speedhut tach & speedo are all coming togethe=
> to drive this spring!
> Mark Haynes
> It only goes one way- Pay It Forward
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/emailme@greggowins.com

--000000000000093fba0612fef52f

my notes from when we wired the alternator into my car.=C2=A0 I&#39;m assum=
ing that the fundamentals between the one you have and the one I have are f=
airly similar.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 However, the 3rd wire is the main difference.=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;d try it both ways, with it connected to switched power =
and without.=C2=A0 This particular alternator might have some kind of circu=
it that cuts everything off if it doesn&#39;t sense ignition=C2=A0power.=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 Do you happen to have the part number of this alternator handy?<=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 11:42=E2=80=AFAM =
Mark Haynes via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>s=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,=
204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I&#39;m sliding down this slip=
pery slope of modification and need some help.</div><div>I&#39;m trying to =
put a ND 3 wire alternator into my BE. It&#39;s already converted to Negati=
ve ground and I&#39;m intending on rewiring the regulator per Barney Gaylor=
d to just use it as a terminal block.</div><div>Here&#39;s the issue, the a=
lternator has a Battery Positive Sense (S) terminal, a Keyed Battery Igniti=
 assuming that the S terminal should get the &#39;fat&#39; brown wire that =
used to go to the D terminal on the regulator (new placement the A terminal=
 after rewiring), and that the L terminal goes to the small yellow wire to =
he I terminal (Keyed battery ignition) so that it sees power when the ignit=
ion switch is on (the white wire at A1 of the regulator), or is this redund=
ant and unnecessary?</div><div>TIA, the new engine/5 speed/speedhut tach &a=
------------------------<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=