[Spridgets] Cam Followers

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Cam Followers
From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:15:06 -0800

--000000000000080a67060aa1032c

     Through the generosity of a list member I have acquired a low mileage
1971 Midget 1275 engine to build for my Bugeye.  A rod knock in my Bugeye
1275 and wacky compression readings want me to just start from scratch.  I
got 90 psi on number 1, 120 psi on number 2, 120 psi on number 3 and 90 psi
on number 4.  Very disappointing after only less than 4000 miles on its
rebuild.  In any case I am on the hunt for engine parts.  Today I was
looking for cam and follower sets.  I called David Anton at APT.  He just
got back from seven weeks in England, plus he has all his inventory in
storage from losing his location of business. He has not been very
successful in finding a new place.  In any case, he says he does not have
the cam I am looking for or the lifters.  He made the suggestion of buying
a blank billet camshaft from him and having Web Cams here locally grind it
for me. Web has been grinding Healey cams since the sixties and has any
profile you would ever need.  This week I will be picking up the blank from
David, but no lifters. The problem I am having is finding lifters that
describe their hardness. According to David and other cam manufacturers on
the internet, the lifters should be at least 5 points harder than the
billet cam.  That means lifters have a Rockwell hardness of over 60.  No
one advertises this factoid in their advertising.  Anyone have a reliable
source for lifters of said hardness?
Mike MacLean

--000000000000080a67060aa1032c

list member I have acquired a low mileage 1971 Midget 1275 engine to build =
for my Bugeye.=C2=A0 A rod knock in my Bugeye 1275 and wacky compression re=
adings want me to just start from scratch.=C2=A0 I got 90 psi on number 1, =
120 psi on number 2, 120 psi on number 3 and 90 psi on number 4.=C2=A0 Very=
 disappointing after only less than 4000 miles on its rebuild.=C2=A0 In any=
 case I am on the hunt for engine parts.=C2=A0 Today I was looking for cam =
and follower sets.=C2=A0 I called David Anton at APT.=C2=A0 He just got bac=
k from seven weeks in England, plus he has all his inventory in storage fro=
m losing his location of business. He has not been very successful in findi=
ng a new place.=C2=A0 In any case, he says he does not have the cam I am lo=
oking for or the lifters.=C2=A0 He made the suggestion of buying a blank bi=
llet camshaft from him and having Web Cams here locally grind it for me. We=
b has been grinding Healey cams since the sixties and has any profile you w=
ould ever need.=C2=A0 This week I will be picking up the blank from David, =
but no lifters. The problem I am having is finding lifters that describe th=
eir hardness. According to David and other cam manufacturers on the interne=
t, the lifters should be at least 5 points harder than the billet cam.=C2=
=A0 That means lifters have a Rockwell hardness of over 60.=C2=A0 No one ad=
vertises this factoid in their advertising.=C2=A0 Anyone have a reliable so=

--000000000000080a67060aa1032c--

--===============3095734607446667842==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============3095734607446667842==--