[Spridgets] Datsun Transmission Woes

To: Spridgets Net <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Datsun Transmission Woes
From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 21:34:41 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_491834_1688223075.1560116081065

=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 OK, I have learned my lesson.=C2=A0 New fangeled i=
deas are not always the way to go.=C2=A0 After replacing the oil yesterday=
=C2=A0 in the Datsun transmission in my Bugeye with Redline MT 90 the shift=
ing was much worse than when the original oil was low.=C2=A0 This morning I=
 got it back up on Jack stands and drained the Redline oil out.=C2=A0 I rep=
laced it with Valvoline 80/90wt GL4 gear oil.=C2=A0 Just what Paul had orig=
inally recommended be used in the Datsun transmission.=C2=A0 Heck, it was e=
ven way cheaper than the Redline.=C2=A0 Six bucks a quart to be exact.=C2=
=A0 I bought two because the trans holds 2 1/2 pints.=C2=A0 I took it for a=
 test drive and it shifted much like before the Redline oil with the except=
ion of third gear. I can downshift somewhat again and it only grinds in thi=
rd in both directions, up or down shifting.=C2=A0 I believe the synchro on =
third is toast.=C2=A0 Don't know why I am always trying to improve on somet=
hing that already works anyway.=C2=A0 These cars were designed to utilize t=
he cheap regular oils of the day.=C2=A0 Why screw with it?=C2=A0 My Harley =
is the same way.=C2=A0 Thirties technology uses the simplest oils and parts=
.=C2=A0 That motorcycle runs the best on cheap Autolite spark plugs.=C2=A0 =
I can find them on sale usually for $.69 to $.79!=C2=A0 Best not to reinven=
t the wheel.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 I still need to rebuild this trans or =
get a new one.=C2=A0 I have a line on a low mileage Datsun transmission.=C2=
=A0 Time to put the Bugeye on the back burner and turn my attention to my B=
N2.=C2=A0 Trying to figure out how to connect the axle housing to the leaf =
springs.=C2=A0 I'm sure they had some special tool to compress the leaf spr=
ing upwards at the factory.=C2=A0 I have no such advantage here in my two c=
ar garage.=C2=A0 Not fun dealing with all that stored up energy.=C2=A0 At l=
east it keeps me off the streets.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 So, I can drive t=
he Bugeye if I have to.=C2=A0 I just have to shy away from third gear.
Mike MacLean

------=_Part_491834_1688223075.1560116081065

ly:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;"><div>&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp; OK, I have learned my lesson.&nbsp; New fangeled ideas are n=
ot always the way to go.&nbsp; After <span>replacing the oil </span>yesterd=
ay&nbsp; in the Datsun transmission in my Bugeye with Redline MT 90 the shi=
fting was much worse than when the original oil was low.&nbsp; This morning=
 I got it back up on Jack stands and drained the Redline oil out.&nbsp; I r=
eplaced it with Valvoline 80/90wt GL4 gear oil.&nbsp; Just what Paul had or=
iginally recommended be used in the Datsun transmission.&nbsp; Heck, it was=
 even way cheaper than the Redline.&nbsp; Six bucks a quart to be exact.&nb=
sp; I bought two because the trans holds 2 1/2 pints.&nbsp; I took it for a=
 test drive and it shifted much like before the Redline oil with the except=
ion of third gear. I can downshift somewhat again and it only grinds in thi=
rd in both directions, up or down shifting.&nbsp; I believe the synchro on =
third is toast.&nbsp; Don't know why I am always trying to improve on somet=
hing that already works anyway.&nbsp; These cars were designed to utilize t=
he cheap regular oils of the day.&nbsp; Why screw with it?&nbsp; My Harley =
is the same way.&nbsp; Thirties technology uses the simplest oils and parts=
.&nbsp; That motorcycle runs the best on cheap Autolite spark plugs.&nbsp; =
I can find them on sale usually for $.69 to $.79!&nbsp; Best not to reinven=
t the wheel.</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I still need to rebuild thi=
s trans or get a new one.&nbsp; I have a line on a low mileage Datsun trans=
mission.&nbsp; Time to put the Bugeye on the back burner and turn my attent=
ion to my BN2.&nbsp; Trying to figure out how to connect the axle housing t=
o the leaf springs.&nbsp; I'm sure they had some special tool to compress t=
he leaf spring upwards at the factory.&nbsp; I have no such advantage here =
in my two car garage.&nbsp; Not fun dealing with all that stored up energy.=
&nbsp; At least it keeps me off the streets.</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp; So, I can drive the Bugeye if I have to.&nbsp; I just have to shy away=
------=_Part_491834_1688223075.1560116081065--

--===============2877033851672389853==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============2877033851672389853==--