Re: Mini question

To: nosimport@mailbag.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mini question
From: Larry Pitts <FUZZY95687@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
Peter,
  Don't know if it's the same but I had a MG that developed the same sympton.
Turned out to be the reverse light switch. At least in the B the actuating ball
for the switch has to move through a detent in a spring loaded rod before
riding on top of this same rod. The force that it took to overcome the detent
and spring pressure moving the rod is the "lockout" or at least part of that
set up. The ball riding on top of the rod was the "elevation" needed to depress
the ball in the switch, turning on the reverse lights. This rod is spring
loaded, returning to its original position allowing for the ball to ride in the
detent when in 1st -4th. (ball would be fully extended turning off the reverse
lamps). In my case the ball corroded in the switch housing staying stuck in the
extended position. When I shifted into reverse, the ball rode onto the rod
holding the rod extended. The spring pressure of the rod was unable to over
come the corroded extended switch ball and thus left me
 with no reverse lockout. I removed the trannny, grabbing at straws just
started checking anything easy. When I loosened the reverse light switch,
zzzap! I heard that spring loaded rod return to it's original position and sure
enough all was well. I was able to duplicate the fault, replace the switch and
drove the car another 60k with no other issues.
  Just a thought.

  Larry Pitts
  60 Bug and misc LBC's

"Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com> wrote:
  All y'all. Not my Mini, but a friend's 64. Reverse lockout doesn't.
Meaning the gearshift too easily will slip into reverse when you
don't want it to.
It used to be fine, but this is a new development. The bits at the
bottom of the lever are fine, I'm told.

It's Sprite gears, just in the oil pan.

Thanks Peter C