Re: In car navigation system

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In car navigation system
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:23:33 -0500
I am an  GPS hobbyist, and all the technology is very impressive to
me. If I have the right maps, I can watch myself change lanes while I
do it. For what you are wanting, yes, a recent Garmin/Magellan/TomTom
unit with detailed maps.  Roads change so much over the whole country,
it is very difficult for anyone to keep them all current. As Jay said,
regional CD's may be more accurate.

If you have a laptop or PDA, there are plenty of solutions for 'live
moving map' with nothing more than a $50 handheld GPS. It can be quite
fun, but none of these are adequate for a trip across the country into
unknown territory. You have to download maps (all free, though) ahead
of time, and hope you don't 'drive off the edge of the world'. PDA's
are hard to see, laptops are usually difficult to gracefully mount in
a car, and it involves stringing a lot of wires around the car and an
octopus of cigarette lighter adapters. Here's a screenshot of a recent
drive for me.

http://204.202.9.122/~ssanders/drive5.jpg