Re: No LBC - 4WD vs AWD

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No LBC - 4WD vs AWD
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:43:49 -0700
This is true ONLY if the differentials are locked.  For some years
now 4WD's have had front and rear differentials that behave just like
the two wheel drive differentials. The big difference is traction
management where power will be transfered from the wheel that looses
traction to the wheel that has some traction. You would only lock the
differentials if you are in situation where you need to drive all
wheels at the same time because none of the individual wheels can
maintain traction.  The only places that come to mind where you would
need this is on say sheet ice,  steep grades with very deep sand,
loose rocky grades and such.  Even in the deep beach sand on the east
coast I never had to lock the differentials on my Grand Cherokee.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor, in boxes)
2000 Miata Special Edition