Re: Engine Smoke Question

To: "Bugeye" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, "Spridget" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Smoke Question
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:15:58 -0700 reply-type=original
The 35 comes from trial and error, more advance and it pings too much, less
advance and it wants to run on. It will still ping a little under WOT at
heavy load but when the head was off I saw no sign of detonation. At one
point I had an MSD unit with an in-car timing adjustment knob. I could vary
the timing by a total of 15 degrees (+/- 7 degrees from the physical (dizzy
position) timing) and played with this until I got what I thought was the
best over all performance. At that point it was running at 35 degrees total
advance verified with an adjustable timing light. After the MSD was removed
(it broke) I set the timing to 35 degrees total advance and left it there.

Most of the oil is being burned. It drips a little but not a significant
amount.

I add an octane booster that helps some. Mostly I back off and downshift
when my ping detector says "It's pinging".

I do need to get the tools to do a leakdown test.

Larry Miller