Re: Winter tires

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Winter tires
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:15:26 -0600
Cc: w.lists@verizon.net
Bill:

I've run Blizzaks and was impressed with them through Michigan winters.
Especially good on ice. But when I had them there was only one "line" and
now there are several kinds of Blizzaks available. The Honda I ice race is
shod with Blizzaks and they seem to be the tire of choice among that crowd.
More recently, I've had a set of Dunlop Graspics on my wife's minivan.  They
are noisier than the Blizzaks in my recollection, but I feel pretty good
about them too and I believe they were quite a bit less expensive than the
Blizzaks.

JohnD

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:27:50 -0400
From "William M. Gilroy" <w.lists at verizon.net>
Subject: Winter tires (NLBC)

My wife drives a 02 Passat and given her driving style she and I think she
could benefit from a set of winter tire for the car.  Given that this is NJ
she would run them from December to March.  That is a total of 3-5K miles
per
year.

Has anyone had a experience with winter tires, either good or bad?

I guess some of the brands I am considering are:

Nokia Hakkapeliita - If I could find them they may be the way to go
Bridgestone Blizzak - appear to be easy to get

and plenty of other choices.

I figure the cost for each tire is going to be anywhere from $80 to $120 per

corner plus I will need to get an extra set of rims.  Money is not the
really
the issue, having a good set of tire so my wife stay on the road is much
more
important on so many levels, from crap she is hurt to she is fine but you
know who was to cheap to get good tires :-)

In the scheme of things they make great tires for many different things and
it
does not make any sense to skimp on them.

Bill Gilroy

Check out the new British Cars Forum: