Re: FW: Subj: Fwd: Don't buy gas on May 19th

To: buckrd67562003@yahoo.com, Baby_lett23@yahoo.com, rsexson@excite.com, eds3233@sbcglobal.net, cajefry@airnwire.com, god@ccrtc.com, jejones45@hotmail.com, judinclark@sbcglobal.net, Tmairdale@aol.com, pferree@joink.com, Tecildr@cs.com, acatsamm@joink.com, JohnSexson@aol.com, PESEXSON@aol.com, Shannonsexson@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: Subj: Fwd: Don't buy gas on May 19th
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:47:24 EDT
Here's another idea:  On May 19th let's all stop driving cars as big as
houses.  This, like most of our problems, is of our own making, not oil
companies
or Arabs.  Here are the actual facts, in case anyone cares:

1)  Gasoline is still cheaper than bottled water in this country

2)  The average mileage of our fleet of cars in the US has decreased in the
last few years from over 27 mpg to under 25

3)  The oil we get is actually subsidized to an enormous extent by the
government and is artificially cheap.  Even before the Iraq war, the cost of
our
military operations in oil shipping lanes makes the true cost of oil in the US
200 dollars per barrel

4)  If we followed the efficiency standards of european cars we would need no
oil from the middle east at all.  That means the terrorists would have no
money to buy bombs, we wouldn't need a military presence there, etc.

5)  Our trade deficit is something you hear a lot about and it's constantly
setting new records.  20% of this annually is oil purchases, which are
completely elective based on the poor economy of our autos.

Note that in this entire discussion you have not heard the words environment,
smog, or global warming.  The fact is there is every reason in the world to
cut back and only one reason not to:  gluttony.  I don't care, it's fine, I'm
not asking anyone to change his/her way, I have a pickup with big arse tires.
I'm just saying let's not kid ourselves about who the problem is.  Check it
out folks, McDonalds didn't make us fat, Phillip Morris didn't make us cough,
and Arabs aren't the cause of our dependence on expensive imported oil.

Let's make May 19th 'look in the mirror day'

Mark M