Fuel Gage Readings

To: "bugeye@yahoogroups.com" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, Spridget Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Gage Readings
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:15:42 -0800
I need wisdom from the List regarding either the fuel gauge or the
sending unit ( actually both, duh).

My fuel gauge needle first went immediately to Full when I turned the
key. Since I had less than 1 gallon in the tank, I knew this was not
correct. I thought I remembered something about reversing the B & T wire
connections when a car is converted from positive to negative ground.
Since I have switched to negative, I switch the 2 wires going to the
fuel gauge. Needle went to Empty. But with so little gasoline in tank I
thought this might be close. I filled the tank at the local gas station
(furtherst ride in Bugeye yet! Yea!), and the gauge still reads empty!!

I had cleaned the fuel sending unit, making sure the float arm was loose
and wire connections good, but I really don't know if the unit was good.
I added a grounding wire to the unit (from 1 of the six screws to the
body). Might this be causing the problem?

Any suggestions as to how to check either the fuel gauge or sending
unit. Is there any way of checking sending unit without draining &
removing tank?

Driving locally, I can live without the fuel gauge working, but I would
like it operating before I take any long distance trips.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA