Electrical Questions

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical Questions
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:18:28 -0700
Hello Spridgets,

So, today was catch up with the car. A wash, a wax and then installing some
odds and ends. Of course I had to take it for a spin when I was done.

While on the highway, I blew a fuse. The first thing I noticed was the loss
of stereo then realized tach, and fuel gauge. I didn't notice until I was
home that I didn't have turn signals, or brake lights.

I have replaced the fuse 3 times and it still keeps blowing. The only thing
I can think of that has changed is that the switch for the heater wasn't on
before (stuck in the off position).

While looking through the Bentley manual, it looks like there used to be a
volage regulator. Would this have been removed when the alternator was
installed (previous owner)?

I can't take it for a spin without lights. Any thoughts or suggestions? Best
as I can tell, I should replace the entire wiring harness. There's tape
everywhere and connectors just dangling. I thought something had come lose
earlier and when I connected it the car wouldn't start. On the other hand, I
got some serious smoking from under the hood and burned through the wire
insulation. I'm guessing it was one that was previously attached to the
voltage regulator.

On the up side, the new intake duct works like a charm and I used the "we
tight" solution of a twist tie on the damper. Cooler air has arrived!

Thanks in advance.

--
Alix
'68 Sprite