RE: Rear Main Seals

To: "Guy Weller" <guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>, "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Main Seals
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:39:31 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g4AHXPO29051
Bob will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's saying that as he has
no PCV, and therefore no "assistance" in removing the crankcase pressure
(courtesy of the vacuum in the intake manifold), the way to relieve the
pressure is to have as many outlets as is feasibly possible.

What I don't understand is why there is still a need for the calibrated
hole in the filler cap.  Surely any calibration there is redundant in
light of the fact that you now have a couple of gaping holes elsewhere?

My car is a '66 with the PCV valve.  My engine leaks nothing, so I will
agree that the system appears to be effective in reducing crankcase
pressure.  The only problem I have is that it tends to suck oil out of
the engine (not much, but there's always a nice pool in the bottom of
the valve).  I think part of the reason for that is that the connection
to the crankcase in the 1098 engine is via one of the tappet covers on
the side of the engine, which I've read (on an MGB BBS) is not the ideal
place for such a thing - too much oil sloshing around in there!

Phil