Re: Clutch again

To: guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch again
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:58:51 EST
According to Vehicle and engine technology by Heinz Heisler  - ... The return
spring in the slave cylinder will then maintain a slight pressure on the fork
lever, so that the thrust bearing will always be in contact with the release
fingers....

I would guess the slight pressure is very slight given that the pressure
plate fingers are pushing the thrust bearing away.

I think the only way you deal with your second problem is to establish where
the BITE point is on the clutch.  If the BITE point is right at the top of
the pedal then there may well be a strong possibility that the clutch fingers
(assuming a diaphragm spring) may be bent too far in but I think you would
feel the pedal getting very hard before it was fully pressed and on the
floor.  A multi coil spring clutch couldn't I think, be damaged as easy
because the coils would simply bind and are I think, less prone to damage.
If the pedal is getting very hard - I think you said you were doing a Ford
conversion or something? then cut a bit off the end of the clutch rod till it
feels ok and goes to the floor without getting stiff and hard near the bottom
:-|.

Maybe another lister has a better response? Paul A ??

Nick