Re: Final Drive Determination???

To: Brent Wolf <wolfbj@prodigy.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Final Drive Determination???
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:34:50 -0800 (PST)
Brent,

17.3 per 1k is for the 3.7 diff. The 76 Midget has a
3.9 diff. which is somewhere around 16 per 1k. 3500 at
50 sounds about right for the 3.9.

If you had a 4.11 or 4.22, you would be cherning more
than 3500 at 50mph.

Dan

--- Brent Wolf <wolfbj@prodigy.net> wrote:
> While I was under the 76 playing with the brake
> hose, I got to thinking (I
> know - shouldn't do that) about the final drive.
> Why are my rpm's so high
> at 50 mph (about 3400).  If my final drive is 17.3
> mph per 1000, then I
> should be flying down the road at almost 60 (58.8).
> Anyway.  I was also
> told it sounds like a 4.22 diff is installed (about
> 15 per 1000) So I looked
> up an old driveline info section and was read - To
> determine final drive
> ratio, raise one wheel, mark driveshaft, mark wheel,
> rotate wheel one (1)
> revolution and count driveshaft revs.  (3.9 = 3.9,
> 3.7 = 3.7, 4.2 = 4.22).
> Ok easy enough.
>
> There must be something wrong or I can't follow
> instrucitons. My drive shaft
> rotated exactly 1.95 revs (not quite 2 and more than
> 1.9) per wheel
> rotation.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there anyway
> short of pulling apart
> the diff to determine what is inside?

=====
Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
64 Sprite (Rotary Project)
Alexandria, Va.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful
servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten
the gift."
- Albert Einstein.
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1