Re: Steering Play

To: chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Play
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 20:02:04 -0500
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
chuck wrote:

>  Guess I
> could yank the steering column and shim the splines with some
> teflon tape or some such, but ... that doesn't seem like the
> cowboy way.

Not unless you want the cowboy to bite the dust!
Don't jerk around where the column bolts to the rack.

What Peter said makes perfect sense.
And yes this applies to the later collapsable columns aswell. the one that let
loose on me was a 69.
One of the major concerns is if that bolt comes out even a little bit, it hits
the
front frame locking the steering. Your initial reaction is a rapid jerk of the
wheel the other way, then you are out of control.
I know of one guy who rolled his Sprite when this happened. the 69 I bought was
because of the bolt coming out and the PO lost control.
It has never happened to me but I always inspect my pinch bolts with every oil
change.
Always use a new nyloc nut on it if you do undo it.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ