Engine Swap - Positive/Negative Ground Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Swap - Positive/Negative Ground Questions
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:12:45 -0800 (PST)
My '68 Sprite - Negative Ground no has a 1098 engine
installed from a Positive Ground '66 Sprite. Still
putting this one back together and I've read the info
on converting from Positive to Negative Ground.
Battery was installed by former owner as positive
ground and car started and ran although fuel pump
would not work. Works ok also conencted as negative
ground and fuel pump does work. Try this one with a
current car and instant fireworks but you've got to
love 30+ year old technology. I'll make the following
assumptions in order to make sure everything is
properly connected.;

1)Presently White Wire( looks to be original wire)
comes from the wiring harness and connects to the +
side of the coil. Wire from negative side of coil
connects to distributor. I'm guessing this needs to be
reversed and negative terminal goes to the wiring
harness and positive side of coil connects to the tab
on the side of the distributor. Which side of the coil
wire goes to the Distributor?

2) Generator needs to be repolarized. Those
instructions are fairly clear.

3) Blower motor - since car was negative ground to
begin with should be no changes here?

4) Tachometer - since this car was negative ground to
begin with no changes should be required here?

Any other surprises that I need to be aware of?

Original paint color on generators? Any idea. Engine
was repainted and looks good, accessories still in
basic red rust.

Jim Gruber
Dayton, OH
http://personals.yahoo.com