Re: fuel tank "gasket"

To: Andrew Weaks <awboat@intelos.net>
Subject: Re: fuel tank "gasket"
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:53:18 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Andrew Weaks wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> I am ready to put the tank back in the midget and see that there is a paper
>shim or
> "gasket" stuck to the bottom of the boot around the edge where the tank goes.
>It is
> necessary to replace this? I really don't have anything of similar quality
>and was
> thinking that just some duct tape squished in there would do the trick. I
>also installing a
> panhard bar if that would make a difference. I take it the "gasket" is to
>keep down
> vibrations or something like that.

The cheap and easy fix is to cut some strips of an old inner tube to fit.
While the tank is
out, make sure you've cleaned the top portion really well.  After it is clean,
use some sort
of undercoating or other rubber-type product to coat it.  Most of the tank
problems stem from
water and junk sitting on top of the tank and rusting them out.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Pop. 420