Re: Clutch Problem

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:14:45 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, judson@autox.team.net
Gerard,
     You are the winner of today's Spridget Problem Pop Quiz.  I had recently
rebuilt my master cylinder because of a bad rubber kit that had been installed
during the restoration that was leaking.  After rebuild, I carefully readjusted
the rods at the pedal box for the brakes and the clutch (1/32" free play at the
rod and 5/32" free play at the pedal).  After Gerard's e mail, I went out to
the garage and checked this adjustment.  Sure enough, the adjuster bolt head
was up tight against the clutch rod in the master cylinder.  After re-adjusting
the clutch works fine and the rpm drop is almost nil.  Apparently, this
clearance measurement is critical for proper clutch operation.  I just did not
make the connection between the master rebuild an the clutch problem.
Duhhhhhh!  Ya gotta love the guys (and girls-thanks for your input Patricia) on
this list.  I think my car would spend A LOT more time in the garage if it
wasn't for this list.  Thanks again Gerard.
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite