HELP...need advice!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP...need advice!
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:28:37 -0500
Okay, call me a fool...I recently purchased a lovely 1975 MG Midget. So,
that's not the bad part...I bought it really cheap and it has some
problems. Hee hee...don't we all! It's headed to the shop on Monday for a
bumper to bumper run down of what needs to be fixed. This is what I've
caught so far and the questions that I have. Please remember, this is my
second Midget. (I had the sell the first one 6 years ago when the real baby
was born.) I'm not a mechanic but I want to learn....but I don't want to
make anything worse than it already is...

1. Shocks-My mechanic says to stay away from conversion kits and just bit
the bullet for new ones. What is your opinion? How many of you have
converted your lever shocks and hated it or loved it.

2. Clutch Fluid Leak-Yup, I've got on...it looks as though it's coming from
the clutch. Slave cylinder looks okay. But, when you drive the car you must
push the clutch to the floor to get it to shift nicely. Otherwise, you
grind those gears. By the way...nothing like being a chick and grinding
your gears...guys give you a look like...idiot woman, can't even drive a
standard! :) The only problem I'm having it from a dead start into first.
Upshifting seems to cause the car no problem. So...either I need a new
clutch, I've got a bad seal or my pedal needs adjustment or all three...is
there some sort of test I can do before tearing into the clutch?

3. Wiring...ARRRGH! Where can you find a GOOD diagram perhaps color coded
of the wiring for a 75 Midget?

4. Books...what do you guys suggest I buy??? Lord knows, I need the help!

Luckily, the motor is strong and the front end appears to be okay.

Tracey