5-speeds and diff ratios

To: "spridgets@autox. team. net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5-speeds and diff ratios
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:51:02 -0500
OK, all you five-speeders out there:

What are you running for a differential ratio, and how do you like it?

I'm about to send my flywheel and Datsun shift lever to Paul at
Morriservice, and in order for him to create my speedo cable he needs to
know what my diff gearing will be. So I have to decide.

I'm running a 4.22 now but I have access to a 3.9. Engine is a 1275, a
little hotter than stock. Am I crazy for even thinking about keeping the
4.22? I do like the off-the-line response I have now.

Will 5th be enough to keep my revs down even with the 4.2?

Are the 5-speed's ratios close to the ribcase? Or is first even shorter, so
that with a 4.2 it's almost useless? Does the gap between 2nd and 3rd get
too wide with the taller rear?

Any input, opinions, wisecracks, and experiences appreciated.

Phil Vanner
'61 Midget

///