gaskets in general

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Bryan Vandiver" <bryan.vandiver@sun.com>
Subject: gaskets in general
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 05:34:08 -0600
Cc: "Robert Sexson" <rsexson@excite.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
again I don't know much about this here Austin motor stuff.. only done a
couple of them.... but I understand basic's

A Gasket is used to create a uniform seal between two imperfect surfaces....
the more perfect the surfaces the less the requirement for a gasket in the
first place....

The Copper gasket requires some type of liquid sealer material as even dead
soft copper can't create a perfect seal with the limited pressure we can
create with the seperation of the head bolts ( read clamping pressure if you
like)

Like several of you I am a fan of the paper gaskets with Virtually Nothing
else...  to be honest I sneak in a little silicone gasket sealer rubbed on
my fingers then wiped around the gasket in areas where the water flows
between the two... but keep in mind you don't see much of this material on
the gasket as your just wiping it around... you ain't globbing it.... NEVER
do that.... it inevitably will end up in the oil pump pick up... ( can you
see this failure coming )

This is the way I use gasket sealer on all my gaskets by the way..... dap on
my index finger...rub it between my thumb and then stick the gasket there
and coat both sides... but I try not to leave anything more then a Film I
just add a bit more sealer to my fingers as I go around the
gasket.......it's all that is required...  your sealing surfaces don't have
to be perfect... but they should be pretty good.... and by the way unless I
have something mechanically happen my motors don't leak fluids...

I use the Blue for water and oil and the copper for my exhaust stuff.... and
I actually seal my headers to the motor without a gasket...( yeah the
mateing surfaces are that well matched )

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND NOT TO GLOB this stuff.... It's the one mistake I
see over and over again....besides it just looks like someone didn't know
what they were doing.... think about it... if the gasket material is hanging
out Globbed around the outside there is an equal amount on the inside and
that is going into your engine... if your thinking it's just the water
side....yeah could be... so now it's in your radiator fan rows or the
petcock valve for your heater...

Keith ( again I only know what I do... your mileage may vary )
I love it... just re-read it and I said it three times... guess that tells
you my opinion on that form of Cobbeling.... )