1500 :1275

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500 :1275
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 10:26:44 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
I have one of each!
Both are mildly tuned - better cam, lightened flywheels, balanced
crank, K & N filters, ported heads and LCB exhaust manifolds so
neither would be so called "standard" engines. Both are standard
suspension other than heavier anti-roll bars and 165X70  tyres.

The 1500 is probably faster, at least in a straight line, if I want to
push it, it certainly brings in the power at lower revs, somewhere
around 2000rpm, but as the revs get higher it just dosn't feel as
"happy" as the free reving 1275. The 1275 power comes in later, about
3500, but with more of a noticable surge when it does.  From there the
revs just climb with an increasing "howl" from the K & N that makes
your spine tingle!

The 1275 is just nicer to drive. It feels older, which of course it
is, and has more "style". Roads around here are full of twists and
tight turns, adverse cambers, and very narrow, with walls and hedges
right to the tarmac edge to make for exciting driving.  The 1275 is
lighter, it turns in better and dosn't break away quite so soon.
Driving is rarely flat out in terms of outright speed but both cars
suit these roads so much better than most modern cars, or perhaps its
the roads that suit the cars better.

End of the day, I don't care what the figures might say.  What I do
know is that with the top down, and early on a summer day when the sun
is up and lighting up the fell tops, its my "family car" 145bhp fuel
injected padded cell that stays firmly in the garage. (with the fast
accelerating cat!). After that - well toss a coin, its the blue one
today!
Guy