Re: Dream machines

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dream machines
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:38:42 EDT
In a message dated 8/24/00 6:18:11 PM, ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

<<Bryan and Daniel,

I think you are both right.
One can improve the engine by ordering a couple of parts and bolting them
on, and even doing some careful modifications.
"Fast road" spec components work well for this.

But one can also make more radical components work well, but only with
*development*.  Getting objective feedback (dyno runs) and trying out
different configurations until the optimum is achieved.

I'm with Ulix (and therefore Bryan and Daniel) on this one.  The easiest way
to increase performance is reading Vizard or even the BMC "Special Tuning"
sheets that will allow you to put together a proven combination without a lot
of development work.  The more you strike out on your own, the more
development work is needed.  Vizard's (and Daniel's) books will tell you how
much time and $ a dyno will save in development work.
I'm guessing Daniel's dyno guy probably has some experience tuning Webers,
SUs and A series motors.  Most dynos in the States are experienced in getting
12,000 hp from a 426 Hemi.  For most of us street drivers, a good pair of SUs
will be easier to tune than trying to dial in a Weber properly without a
selection of mains,chokes, and venturis available.

Rick