Re: nib / nos

To: "Wiedemeyer" <boxweed@thebest.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: nib / nos
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:27:21 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
unfortunatly true.  it is usually refered to as shelf worn in listings like
hemmings.  depending where geographically where an item comes from and how
it has been stored has a great deal to do with the quality of nos parts.
some stuff has been well cared for and other stuff has been in damp
basements or in storage units outside for years!   nos does have it's
merrits.  so do some repro items it depends what you are intending to do
with "your" finished product.   reguardless of your intended end result , be
it top quality show car or a daily driver , the end result is that you have
been afforded the opertunity to preserve your car the way you choose to.
as loudly as the complaints are made about inferior reproductions and no
longer perfect nos items the fact remains that you are able to choose or not
to choose in what you want to invest in for your specific car.
owners of spridgets are very lucky!  at times possibly we fall short of the
reality that befalls other brands of foregin vehicles as far as availability
of components goes.   there are numerous vintage foregin cars sitting all
over the place waiting for the last needed component to finish a restoration
or just to get it running again.  and they are going to continue to sit!
there are no repro of aftermarket parts for these cars.  some exotic enough
to warrant having parts made specifically for that car's repair and some
waiting for the demise of another car for it's donor parts.
yes quality is an issue when it comes to where and who has manufactured the
replacement parts for our cars.  i do not argue that point at all.  but
being able to pick up a catalog, or 2 or 3 or 4 or call a friend, or email a
list is just overwhelming !   this list is a great resource of information
and components.
remember not a too long ago past where you were just glad to meet another
spridget owner within 50-100 miles of where you lived? and then you remarked
wow! small world huh?   now at the push of a button you can converse with
owners all over the globe.

chuck.