Re: The Hunter Returns! ( not much LBC )

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Hunter Returns! ( not much LBC )
From: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:13:13 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Something's cooking here! :)

>Yes, I do eat meat from the supermarket, but what's that got to do with
it?!
You are promoting the ongoing imprisonment of animals.  Animals who live a
false life.  Suddenly one day, the farmer takes them away and slaughters
them.  Well, he may not do it himself, any more than you would.  A little
hint for you all ... the meat doesn't 'come' from the supermarket.  There
was life in that meat, as there was life in everything that we eat.  Whether
you kill it yourself, or pay someone else to do, it still equates to pretty
much the same thing.  Something's going to die.  ( vegetable or animal )

>I don't brag about the size of the steak that I bought there ...
No?  Some people would!  I think that to brag about what a good provider is
a fairly normal part of being a man!

> ..., and people who
>work in the slaughter houses don't brag about the cow they killed to
provide
>meat to the supermarkets.
But again, they probably brag about the quality or quantity of their work.

>  It's all a matter of survival, not
>"sport"......and please don't try to tell me that the reason you go out to
>shoot Bambi is to put food on your table.  That ain't gonna fly!
Well ... yes and no!  The venison that I bring home is a higher quality of
"lean" meat than you're going to find elsewhere.  Sport?  No, it's not
sport.  Correct me if I am wrong folks, but sport hunting is trophy hunting.
It is recreation for me though.  Getting back to nature.  Lots of exercise.
If people depended on hunting to bring the meat home instead of
"domesticating" cattle, the world wouldn't be overpopulated.

Are you aware of the problems that cattle and swine are to our ecological
system.  Apparently, they consume 70 litres of water for every Big Mac ( or
it might be per pound of beef, but you get the picture?)and our planet
cannot sustain that.

I'm not an animator.  Walt Disney had some people shoot Bambi.  And, I
promise you, when deer and rabbits and skunks talk and associate with each
other, I'll stop hunting.

>  You have
>deceived yourself into thinking that you are a macho hunter,
Very humble, I'm afraid ... I think that if I had to depend on hunting to
sustain my family, we would starve.

Try it sometime.  Grab a camera with regular speed film and go out and get a
non-blurred perfectly centered shot from 100 yards or so, and limit yourself
to 1 shot per deer.  See who's better equipped, you or the deer.  Prepare to
be humbled.

> but, again, I
>say, "Where is the sport when there is no chance of the hunter losing and
no
>chance of Bambi winning?"
Well ... Bambi almost got me and my family on the last evening of the
regular rifle season.  Like many other deer do to other people, he
challenged my car.  He didn't win, because I avoided him.  Have you ever
seen a car with a deer or moose through the windshield back to the back
doors?  I have!  I think that that was the first dead person that I saw.
The person in the passenger seat had a broken back, and survival wasn't
assured.  This year someone hit a moose and it flipped over their car and
landed on the car behind.  I think that only one died and 2 have been in the
hospital for quite some time.  The statistics for the last hunting season
was something like 630 hits for the deer to 250 or so deer harvested by
hunting.  Forty percent of car accidents in that neighbourhood are caused by
deer.  They don't need a rifle.

Culling of the herd will happen one way or another where I am.  Imagine a
job that needs to be done, and you can get people to pay you for the
priviledge of doing it for you instead of using tax money.  There is only so
much food and if there are too many deer, lots starve or get weak and
consumed by coyotes or wolves, who then reproduce quite well and when the
deer are gone, what do the predators eat?  Your dog?  Small children?

>  If you want to be a real sport, do something
>where there's some danger involved for you, too!
I drive our highways.

BTW, I got my deer Saturday morning.

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada