Re: Dizzy problems and now a gearbox

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dizzy problems and now a gearbox
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:25:59 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Bob,

If Leigh Ellen has an original Mk II tranny, there is no big gap between
2nd and 3rd as the Mk I has.  Lots of folks aren't aware of the
differences in gear sets between these two boxes.  Just as the rib cases
are not all alike.  There are at least 7 different sets of gears
available for these two boxes and few of the parts are interchangeable!
That helps to explain the weird noises some home rebuilds have!

Smooth case:
        Morris Minor series II  "Buggy whip shifter"
        Sprite Mk I and Morris Minor 1000  the same gears
        Sprite Mk II  Unique to itself
        Morris Minor about 63-64  gear set the same as the early rib case

Rib case:
        Morris Minor-65 and up--  gear set that runs on bronze bushings
        Sprite Mk III Midget II  Early set known as the "A" gears
        The Later cars had two sets of gears that had different angles

Leigh Ellen may have a gear box that was a joy to have with the 948 as
far as ratios were concerned.  The only improvements were the gear set in
the latest Morris smooth case with the baulk ring synchros.

Later, Paul

Paul Asgeirsson
9123 N Clarendon Ave
Portland OR 97203-2750